There are many different types of computer security consultants. There are consultants who will:
- Advise you of common risks and mitigation options.
- Design and architect a secure-enough solution that matches your needs.
- Audit your system and tell you what needs to be improved.
- Come in after you have been compromised and tell you how it was done.
We do that, but we go one step further. At Hacker Factor, we profile the attackers. Were you targeted at random or was the attack specific for you? How many people were involved? What are their skill sets? Where are they from? Did they get what they wanted, or will they be back?
As with conventional forensics, in computer forensics there is the Locard Principle: Every contact leaves a trace. Everything you type, every file you open, every picture you create, and every packet you send says something about you. At Hacker Factor, we develop cutting edge forensic technologies and methods for extracting trace evidence from computer systems, software, and files.
Hacker Factor operates a variety of web services. These include:
- FotoForensics: A public, research-oriented service that permits hands-on access to some digital photo analysis tools.
- FotoForensics Lab: A private, commercial-oriented version of FotoForensics. It includes a wider range of digital photo analysis tools.
- RootAbout: A search engine for visually similar images.
- Tor Onion Service for the Internet Archive: A Tor "onion service" for privately accessing the Internet Archive. (Note: The URLs only works if you are using Tor.) This service is provided with permission from the Internet Archive. It can be reached using Tor at:
- Neutral Charge: A response to the FCC's 14-Dec-2017 deregulation of net neutrality.